School governors are important to the running of Eckington School, because they have responsibility for deciding, reviewing and monitoring many of the policies, plans and procedures within which the school operates. Their backgrounds are varied, being drawn from both the public and private sectors and so bring a wide range of fresh perspectives from their own work environment.
Governors work together as a corporate body and provide strategic leadership and accountability within the school. Key functions of the governing body are to:
- Set the aims and objectives for the school with the purpose of raising standards and securing the health, safety and well-being of pupils.
- Set the policies that underpin those aims and objectives.
- Set the targets for achieving those aims and objectives.
- Monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives;
- Be a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend);
- Be accountable for the school's strategic development.
To ensure the business of the Governing Body is conducted properly and in accordance with legal and Local Authority requirements some of the functions mentioned above are delegated to the following committees:
- Curriculum and Standards
- Finance and Premises
- Personnel and Pay
- Pupils and Families
- Strategic Group
These committees focus on priorities and report back decisions made to the full governing body.
Chair of Governors: Matthew Freeston
If you would like to contact the Chair of Governors, please do so by letter, to the school address.