Teachers & Roles in Department
- Mrs S Clarke - Leader of Teaching and Learning Physical Education and Community Sport
- Mrs A Roberts - School Sports Coordinator
- Mrs K Hendzell
- Mr D Needham - TLR KS3/ Btec Sport
- Mrs P Raybould - TLR Raising Standards GCSE PE
- Mr R Morgan
About Physical Education
The aim of the PE Department is to help to develop skillful, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, helpful, organised, healthy and all round students who have a desire to remain involved in physical activity. Through physical education, the students should be challenged and developed to their highest level possible. This is done through the students involvement in :
- National curriculum lessons.
- An optional GCSE Physical Education course in years 9, 10 & 11.
- An optional course in AS/ A level Physical Education in years 12 & 13.
- An optional course in BTEC National Diploma in Sports Performance and Excellence
- An optional extra curricular programme.
- An optional leadership programme.
There is a self-contained purpose built accommodation for physical education and sport. We have a high quality 4 bay sports hall which was opened in February 2006. In addition to the sports hall there are two well equipped gymnasiums and six changing rooms.
The outdoor facilities are well maintained these are:
- 7 Netball courts
- 3 Outdoor basketball courts
- 1 Full sized football pitch
- 2 smaller football Pitches
- 1 Rugby Pitch
- 6 Rounders Pitches
- A grass athletics track
- Orienteering courses set up within and beyond the grounds
The department offers a wide range of extra curricular activities during lunch time and after school. A programme of activities is offered every half term and all students are encouraged to get involved and enjoy the activities - whatever their level of ability is. Current activities include netball, football, badminton, basketball and table tennis. Eckington School enters leagues and tournaments in various activities and consequently we have a busy programme of fixtures.
We have an excellent leadership programme and enjoy seeing a vast number of our students leading primary school sports events throughout the year.